Young talent from prestigious universities met at the ESCP's London Campus on 22nd & 23rd February to participate in the 2018 Energy Trading Challenge.
Jointly organised by our 2018 MSc in Energy Management (MEM) students, in collaboration with Smart Global, ESCP, and its Energy Management Centre (EMC), the challenge provided an excellent platform for students to learn key insights on trading oil and gas products.
Prof. Dr Kostas Andriosopoulos, Executive Director of the EMC and Academic Director of ESCP Europe's Energy Management Programmes and Luke Horswell, Director of Smart Global delivered the opening remarks.
The EMC is pleased to announce the following key facts of this successful event:
- 174 attendees representing 17 universities met at the event to share their knowledge and exchange ideas
- A truly international competition, this event gave students from the most prestigious universities and business schools of Europe and the UK the opportunity to participate in a stimulating and thought-provoking two-day event.
- On 22nd February, participants benefited from excellent networking opportunities at the drinks reception hosted at ESCP London Campus
- Two round tables on the topics of “2018: The year of the Bull or the Bear for oil and gas? “ and "Routes to a career in the energy trading industry" were held in tandem with the event
- Students from ESCP, HEC Paris, London Business School, Cranfield University, University College London, London School of Economics and Political Science - LSE, University of Sussex, Regent’s University London, University of Strathclyde, Toulouse School of Economics, CASS Business School, Bocconi University, Neoma Business School, Imperial College London, and many others were awarded for their participation
This year’s speakers included:
Gary Middleditch, Head of Trading, SOCAR
Robin Bieber, Former Director, PVM Oil Associates
Elena Giannakopoulou, Head of Energy Economics, Bloomberg New Energy Finance
Ashutosh Shastri, Founder, EnerStrat Consulting
Hans-Arild Bredesen, CEO, Nordpool Consulting
David Fereres, Fuel Broking Manager, Libra Fearnley Energy
George Kokotis, Senior Portfolio Manager, Cheniere
Campus Dean Professor Simon Mercado and Martin Read, Founder of Smart Global announced the top three teams at the end of the second day.
- 1st place: The French Connection - Oussama Baali, Maria Bugge, Matthieu Maso and Lior Bercu
Toulouse School of Economics
- 2nd place: Unicorns & Kitties (on rainbows) - Wanty Leo, Kevin Nem, Amalric de Saint Laurent, Guillem Forto and Olivier Lision
Toulouse School of Economics
- 3rd place: Team A - Gaddiel Chinebuah, Dumani Headley, Lylah Davies, Nicholas Goglio and Catherine Owiredu-Oppong
London School of Economics and Political Science
ESCP and its EMC would like to congratulate the winning teams on their outstanding performance.
Pictures of the event are available here.